Saturday, July 17, 2010

Gaudi! #3: Casa Batllo

 



The final Gaudi installment: this house that Gaudi designed for a wealthy Barcelona family. (Some call it the "House of Bones" or "Yawns" because of the exterior facade.) His goal: no straight lines, anywhere.

Notice also the marine-inspired shell designs and shades of blue.

Bravo Gaudi!


Flowerpots.
Really great, and functional, chimneys.

Here's what I like so much about Gaudi: he was completely original and true to his own vision. Regarding forms he saw in nature that he used in his designs (ie the wound that forms when a branch is broken from a tree, applied to the columns of La Sagrada Familia):  


"The fact that they have not been applied before and that I am the first to do so has made me think a lot. This would be the only thing that, in any case, would make me hesitate. Nevertheless, I believe that, convinced as I am of the perfection that they represent, it is my duty to apply them."

More pictures of Casa Batllo, and other Gaudi works, here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment