Thursday, July 8, 2010

Gaudi! #1: La Sagrada Familia

When I finally had the energy, I set out to explore all the famous Gaudí sites. This man was Barcelona’s most famous and beloved architect, having created some of the most original (and some say ugliest) buildings in the world. Take a look and decide for yourself!

This is La Sagrada Familia, begun in 1882. This church is still under construction...and hopefully it will be completed by about 2026.


The church has three façades.

1) the Nativity
 





2) the Passion (or crucifixion)



 
3) the Glory - in progress.


I loved the interior just as much, if not more.


Gaudi wanted the ceiling to look like a forest, as though the building shelters worshipers from the world.


He also felt that light was a fundamental aspect of building design.


And how about these modern stained-glass windows!


One of the many interesting things about this church is that because it was started so long ago, the older sections are now undergoing restoration work right along with construction of the new.
Isn't that like each of us? There are parts of our personalities that are pretty good and just need some dusting off now and then. Other good parts of us are still in development! If we can patiently see the process through, what monuments we'll be able to build (who was it that said "my life is my greatest work of art?").
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. If I ever make my way out to Spain, this is the place I most want to visit. Ever since I read about it in high school I thought it would be pretty neat. Your photos have definitely solidified this desire. I don't know how long you're planning on staying in Italy, but if you are in Europe when we finally get over there you'll have to show us some of the sites you went to.

    ReplyDelete