Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 4 in Iceland





Started off the day with a quick run to the Icelandic bakery with Sylvia and her daughter Soffia. (I’ve decided that “Icelandic” is my new favourite adjective.) We had giant buns covered with caramel icing – a real chore to choke down, let me tell you – and kleinur, which I was tickled to discover have exactly the same taste and texture as a Jamaican festival! The only difference between these sweet, deep-fried balls of dough is the shape (the kleinur is the bottom picture).

After that thoroughly nutritious breakfast Soffia and I were off for a bit of Icelandic :) horseback riding. You know, your usual Tuesday morning routine. These horses are known for a special gait called the tölt, which has to be Icelandic for “super-bounce”. (Incidentally, Icelanders seem to have a real love for this activity, as there were giant trampolines in almost everyone’s backyard.) I’m embarrassed to admit I’m such a city slicker that this was my first time on a horse. It was a lot of fun!

We booked the “Elfins Tour”, described in the brochure thus:

“On this tour we see places populated by Elfins. We pass the small cleft Alfakví and the old sheep´s house that cannot be removed without serious consequences. During this tour, if we are lucky we can hear the elfins sing in their church at Skjólklettur.”

Which sounded pretty cool...but unfortunately none of this was actually pointed out to us, as our guide seemed very anxious to get us back in time for lunch (apparently our bus arrived late). Oh well.

Iceland was absolutely wonderful: the people, the land, the food, everything. I will take great memories with me. Takk fyrir to everyone that made it such a great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment