Sunday, June 6, 2010

An incredible first day in Iceland!


 The bridge from America to Europe
~ A world-leader-style handshake


Leaving Toronto, Friday, June 4, 2010
~ The welcome party at Keflavik Airport, Iceland!
Magnea, Soffia, Sylvia, Hilmar, Ragnar

I landed in Keflavik, Iceland early Saturday morning. The flight was great: for entertainment there were not only TV shows but twelve movies to choose from (I'll never be able to go back to Westjet's measly three); seven radio stations including one devoted to Icelandic music; and even a "word traveler" game to help you learn the basic of more than 20 languages. Also: my plane was named after a volcano.
The plan was to take an airport bus to Reykjavik (about 45 minutes away) and then call Sylvia, my Facebook friend. Before I left the airport I was looking around in the airport shop when three women came up to me and one asked, "Aleesa?" I couldn't believe it! Sylvia, her daughter and her sister (plus their sons) had driven to the airport to see if they could meet me! Apparently they went all over the place looking for me, even climbing on a tour bus about to depart to call out my name!
I knew Sylvia was a woman after my own heart when she said, "We just made this plan last night and we didn't know if we would find you, but we knew it would be an adventure either way!"
They brought a picnic breakfast with them and I tried smoked lamb for the first time. Delicious!!

To explain about the bridge: apparently the tectonic plates of America (meaning North and South) and Europe are adjacent to each other at this spot.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment