Sunday, March 13, 2011

a Nice weekend

Since this famous city on the French Riviera is only three hours by train from Genova, obviously I was going to visit.

Also because I just can't get enough of the coast.


Also because I discovered that Nice is home to a (small) art gallery of the works of Marc Chagall! This time in France I didn't get it wrong.

grounds of the gallery

I got to see two -- two! -- of his stained-glass windows:


as well as his Biblical Message series, which was an unexpectedly wonderful spiritual experience.

Chagall also created some fantastic mosaics in and around Nice:



Other discoveries: the very great church of Jeanne d'Arc:


more gorgeous French balconies (oh French balconies how I love you);


 and this unmissable patisserie.


Plus I happened to be there at the right time of year for a Carnaval parade!

This was the Saturday afternoon Bataille de Fleurs (Flower Battle). (Unfortunately there was no actual fighting; it was just a misleading title.)


Someday I would like to come back here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment