Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cinque Terre


The group of five tiny villages along the rocky northwest coast of Italy is probably one of the most popular natural destinations in the country.

I spent a fall Saturday there with three friends: Erin, a fellow Canadian I met in Denmark; her brother Carl; and Prasanna, a new friend from Genova.


We started at the southern end with the so-called Via dell'Amore (don't think I need to translate that).






This isn't a great shot but I wanted to remember the absolutely terrible music this accordionist was playing. Think of the sappiest, corniest tune you know, THEN add cheesy synth-strings, plus an echoing tunnel, and you'll have some idea.

This, however, did not deter some happy couples...

I guess people are supposed to kiss here -


- then "seal your eternal love" with a padlock.


Or not.


The little villages were incredible.



Hiking in the hills above gave us a good view.







Pizza for lunch (after we'd hiked in the wrong direction, got trapped in the rain in a tiny bar, and caught a little mountain bus to the next village!).




Vernazza.

underneath those houses is the sea!



 


1 comment:

  1. Cinque Terre looks beautiful! I could see from the pictures it was cloudy, but were there any places to swim? Any vegetarian fare? Amazingly you're visiting all the places I plan to visit, so be expecting questions from me ;)

    ReplyDelete