Saturday, October 2, 2010

Forgive me for Firenze (Florence)


Because some of the world’s most priceless collections of Renaissance art weren’t exciting enough, I decided to take my LIFE into my hands and BIKE around this fast-paced city!

I survived, but for the record, I recommend being aware of which way the traffic is moving when entering a roundabout on a two-wheeled contraption with nothing but your wits about you.

As for other thrills, since Italy was the 14th country in two months, unfortunately it’s where I really began to feel some existentialist angst about the meaning of all this travel.

Save up lots of money, then fly halfway around the world to see something really, really famous. There are about ten thousand other people with the same idea who show up at the same time (making you think silly thoughts like “If only I’d come yesterday!”). Barring the actual famous site itself, whether it’s the London Bridge, Eiffel Tower or Leaning Tower, the experience is the same. Long lines, ridiculously high admission fees, jostling for the best photo ops [last night I dreamed there was a two-hour line just to take pictures of the Pisa tower], and people who are every colour but white hawking cheap and awfully tacky souvenirs everywhere you turn. For me – not moved much by objects that don’t move, as it turns out – there is not much to recommend.

And, it turns out, I’m not actually a huge fan of Renaissance art. I did see Michelangelo's David at the Accademia ("Now that's what God intended" -- some boisterous American women near me), and I spent a morning with the huge collection at the Uffizi...and I was good to go.


near the famous covered bridge on the Arno




some of the famous Tuscan hills
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment