Sunday, February 6, 2011

Jerusalem

first look at the storied city

one of the entrances to the city, sealed a few hundred years after Christ

the temple wall where it is said Satan tempted Christ to throw himself off


the Brigham Young University Jerusalem Centre for Near Eastern Studies



Our day in Jerusalem was a whirlwind tour of some of the top religious sites in the world: not just the city itself, but the Garden of Gethsemane, the Wailing Wall, the Upper Room (where it is said that Jesus had His last meal with His disciples) and the Garden Tomb.

We also had lunch at the "falafel nazi"'s place. "Two dollars for drink, one dollar for tip!" he yelled at each of us on our way out.

Falafel lunch here. I don't know why it's called a Chinese restaurant either!
in the Garden of Gethsemane with my dad, aunt and grandma

We spent some time here in meditation, testimony-sharing and hymn-singing. And the inevitable picture-taking. After snapping a photo of one older lady, I complimented her on how young she looked, to which she quipped, "That's because there's a 2,000-year-old tree behind me!"

separate entrances to the Western Wall Piazza
I like rule #4
young soldiers, men and women, were everywhere
 
the Wailing Wall is to the left
fence separating the men's side from the women's



I was surprised to feel a beautiful spirit at the Wall. I was surrounded by women of all ages and backgrounds reading scriptures, watching their children, praying, nursing babies, or sitting in respectful silence. There was a feeling of reverence, especially as many carefully walked backwards away from the Wall, never turning their backs on it.

on the way to the Upper Room

ascending the stairs to the same place

the view from the open area on top of the building that once housed the Room


As our guide walked us through the events that took place at the Upper Room, we heard the call to prayer begin sounding throughout the city. The call is not exactly an upbeat, catchy tune. We heard it from every direction. I couldn't shake the feeling that the whole city was wailing. While it is obviously an aspect of the Muslim faith, facing the Jewish experience and history, it was as if the eternal mourning of the city had temporarily risen up from the depths.


(women's prayer section)
There was actually a curtain across the middle of the tomb, dividing it in half.

my feet never made it, but I still felt pretty blessed
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos. I miss Israel incredibly so I feel like I'm reliving my time there through your experience! The sealed gates are actually the Messianic gates, and are Eastward-facing and were deliberately sealed to be opened by The Messiah himself - or so the story goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos Aleesa! You are so talented. What an incredible journey you've been on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha about the chinese falafel place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! You're right, Nat: I'm still pinching myself.

    ReplyDelete